The Indian artist/curator group Raqs Media Collective has been appointed the chief curator for the 11th edition of the Shanghai Biennale, which will be open on November 11th 2016 until March 12th 2017 at the PSA.
As the first international contemporary art biennial on the Chinese mainland, the Shanghai Biennale was launched in 1996. Since then, during its 19 years of development, the biennale has maintained high levels of artistic and intellectual standards while consistently analyzing the evolution of urban culture in the international context. It has also grown to become a significant platform for the exhibition of global contemporary art and for discourse.
The 11th edition of the Shanghai event will emphasize the possibilities of South-South dialogue within the current scenario of a highly interconnected world. In doing so it will seek to present artistic and discursive visions that go beyond and challenge the conventional division of the world between ‘East’ and ‘West’. The Raqs Media Collective, who straddle diverse roles in creative and curatorial work and research processes, envisage the forthcoming biennale to be a destination for many different kinds of exploration and investigation as well as a launching pad for new visions and ideas.
The title chosen by Raqs Media Collective for the 11th Shanghai Biennale is “Why Not Ask Again? Maneuvers, Disputations&Stories”. This phrase, inspired by Raqs’ reading of the Indian New Cinema movement pioneer RitwikGhatak’s film Jukti, TakkoaarGappo(Arguments, Counter-Arguments & Stories,1974) anchors their curatorial design.
My Art Guides Editorial Team
Ultimi da Alfonsoi
- KANDINSKY→CAGE: Musica e Spirituale nell’Arte (11 Novembre 2017 - 25 Febbraio 2018 Reggio Emilia, Palazzo Magnani)
- RIVOLUZIONE GALILEO. La scienza incontra l’arte (18 Novembre 2017 - 18 Marzo 2018 Padova, Palazzo del Monte di Pietà)
- MARINO MARINI. Passioni visive (16 Settembre 2017 - 07 Gennaio 2018 Pistoia, Palazzo Fabroni)
- MIRÒ E MARINO. I colori del Mediterraneo. (6 Settembre 2017 - 07 Gennaio 2018 Pistoia, Palazzo del Tau)
- I NUOVI RITRATTI DI ANNIE LEIBOVITZ ATTESI A MILANO